PRAWN NOODLE KING UPTOWN 蝦面王 @ DAMANSARA UTAMA



 
Finally there is some local eatery in KL that is serving iconic dishes from Penang that is of close resemblance in flavour wise, I would say.

I don’t’ usually particularly search for signature dishes from The Pearl of Orient in KL, being a Penangite no matter how much I might be craving for them from time to time- cause somehow or rather, I would still find some flaw in it :D 
TIll one fine day, I was introduced to this restaurant by Warm Pillow who is a fussy eater himself too, haha.


So we went to the OUG outlet initially, tried out their famous hokkien mee (which local KL folks term it as Prawn Mee) and find the broth rather convincing for the first time. The soup was robust and full of sweetness resulted from long hours of prawn shells boiling, making it a true delights when eaten with slurpy noodles and vermicelli. We enjoyed prawn mee in KL for the first time and it was a lovely dinner then. Until recently that we learnt it no longer operating till night that got us craving for more.

As I was browsing their FB page trying to locate the latest updated operations hours (if any), that’s when I stumbled upon this new outlet at Uptown which was a huge relief- for now it’s much more convenient as its OUG outlet is actually quite far for us and also- our craving for that sweet soup is going to be fixed anytime soon!



It was bit crowded during lunch time but was quickly attended to by swift customer service. Our order was taken almost immediately and soon, our bowl of piping hot HOKKIEN Mee was served! Oh yummy!!




For this outlet, we tried the Lunch Set at MYR 12.90 inclusive of a drink (quite a good deal we opined) where we get to savour the pork ribs toppings which is their signature. Otherwise, you may just go for ala carte or the original basic bowl should you not in meaty mode like us :D


Lunch Combo Set B (MYR 12.90)
Inclusive of a drink- 8 Herb Drink (Pat Bo Cha)
Available from 1130am to 230pm every Monday to Friday (except weekend and public holiday)


Soup can be racier if possible, else still decent to me as compared to many other operators in the same field in Klang Valley. Portion was generous with juicy meat and tender pork ribs, not to mention those bounteous sinful bites of pork cracklings! Omg….. Warm Pillow gonna love it dearly which I gonna forbid him to instead enjoy it decently (=



The service was amiably efficient where they would come to each table checking out respective customers’ feedback towards how satisfying their meal was. They would also ask if you would love to add on more soup should they notice your soup is diminishing due to the vermicelli that is slowly absorbing it. How attentive there are!


And so, after trying it on Wednesday lunch, I dropped by again 2 days later for dinner in attempt to try out their soup if it was more flavourful at night- and my hypothesis was affirmatively verified I guess. Perhaps due to much longer boiling, I find the soup at night is tastier to me, hehe. However, for this round I tried their Siew Yuk topping (Roasted Pork) instead of the ribs.


Roast Pork (MYR 14.90)
Having to choose, I would prefer to go with ribs as they are juicier and more succulent. If only the siew yuk skin is crispier, gourmet paradigm shift won’t be taking place anytime soon I suppose :D

 
But the Penang Lor Bak and Prawn Fritters was awesome!
Penang Lor Bak & Prawn Fritters (MYR 12- small | MYR 18- big)




I could still taste the sweetness of the prawn despite being deep fried and yet not overly done, and the minced meat roll (lor bak) was toothsomely done too. I like the idea that it is lightly seasoned and not too fatty, for I am more of lean meat fan- couldn’t help it ^^.
And the uber freshness of the prawn reminds me to the similar joyful prawny moment at Empayar Seremban Siew Pow at Genting Highlands.

Ironically- i find these meaty strips much more enjoyable than the siew yuk :D



Only one thing I wish could have found here is the brownish translucent sauce (Penang terms it as "lor" sauce) with beaten egg whites that I used to enjoy it commonly back in Penang, instead of the chili sauce. The former starchy sauce matches the fried prawn fritters really well, honestly. Otherwise, the Prawn Fritters and Minced Meat Roll were lovely by themselves- I enjoy them more without the sauce, just my personal preference.


Overall, it was a decent and nice place to fix my craving whenever I’m hankering after my hometown food. The meal was homey and deliciously dished out and sincerely hope they would be able to maintain this quality for a  long time. So be it Penangite friends or Klang Valley folks, do give this place a try and hope it fits your taste buds and enjoy them as much as i did.

Cheers for now and follow us at Carpe Diem for more ‘food-ful’ discoveries! ℒℴѵ




Location: Just waze to Prawn Noodle King Uptown (Same row as HSBC Bank, next to Sate Kajang Restoran)


*¨ ..:* *.:*¨.*¨ ..:* *.:*¨.*¨ ..:* *.:

To stay updated

Like & Follow Like & Follow Carpe Diem for more sharing of what’s in vogue and happening in town.

You can also follow me on

Instagram (Instagram (@lwinwenli)and Twitter (Twitter (@lwinlee) for more photos sharing or just to say Hi.

*¨ ..:* *.:*¨.*¨ ..:* *.:*¨.*¨ ..:* *.:
               


Comments

Popular Posts